Ocongate was first established as a village in 1631 by Royal Charter to the King Count Chichon Lieutenant Viceroy, Governor and Captain General of the Provinces Peru. The district was created by an act in 1857 as an initiative of the administration of President Ramon Castilla.
In the 1950s, the Ocongate region consolidated and begun a period of growth. The nearby regions of Ausangate (which means “the highest place”), Ccayangate, Huaranccaty and Uccuncaty (which means the lowest point of the river) were combined as Ocongate.
The territory belongs to the Puna, a type of grassland in the central part of the high Andes.
The terrain plateaus with a low gradient, a landscape that’s dominated by countless lakes formed from melting snow. The altitude ranges between 4,200 to 4,800 meters (13,780 feet to 15,748 feet), where alpacas abound due to the expansive grazing areas.